Rather than holding Christian-style baptisms or christenings, most Unitarian Universalist congregations have child dedication ceremonies for infants and children.
Child dedication ceremonies are usually crafted by the parents, the congregation’s minister, and religious educator working closely together. Many will include the following elements:
- A blessing for the new life of the child
- An expression of the parent or parents’ hopes for the child
- A promise by the congregation to support and nurture the child
You may email Rev. Leslie Kee at email@example.com for more information.
- From Skinner House Books: “Bless This Child: A Treasury of Poems, Quotations and Readings to Celebrate Birth”
- From inSpirit: The UU Book and Gift Shop: “We Dedicate this Child” pamphlet
- From inSpirit: The UU Book and Gift Shop: Dedication Certificates