3rd Annual Yard Sale set for Saturday, June 30, 2018!
UU Casper held its first annual yard sale in August 2016, with proceeds benefiting the children’s Religious Exploration program, as well as two local charities, Wyoming Food for Thought and Seton House. The second annual yard sale in July 2017 was even more successful, with proceeds so far being used for beautification of the UU Casper sanctuary. Save your treasures for this year’s yard sale!
2017-2018 Care N’ Share Program benefits Casper Humane Society
Through June, 2018, UU Casper will be celebrating and supporting the Casper Humane Society! CHS finds forever homes for homeless animals, encourages neutering of pets, prevents and alleviates cruelty to animals, and provides humane education to the community. Find out more at casperhumanesociety.org/.
*Every Sunday through June, UU Casper will be collecting donations of dog and cat food, cleaning and pet supplies. Click on the link below for the Humane Society’s “wish list.”
*Care N’ Share Sunday, May 6th: This will be a day of fun activities:
- Humane Society staff members, along with a few furry shelter residents, will be attending UU Casper, and conducting a lesson for our Religious Exploration participants. At a future date, the RE youth will participate in a follow up volunteer project at the Humane Society’s shelter.
- This will be a “Share the Plate” Sunday, with undesignated cash collected during the offering being donated by UU Casper to the Humane Society
- UU Casper will host a Care N Share Potluck immediately following the May 6th service! We encourage everyone to bring a dish to share, along with donations for the Humane Society.
If you have questions, ideas or would like to get involved, please contact Laura Gossman, Membership Committee chairperson (307-259-4469) or email email@example.com.
Winter, 2018: Care N Share – Seton House
Seton House was our quarterly Care N Share non-profit for January through March 2018. Seton House supports single-parent families in their journey to independence. It’s all about empowerment! “The move a family makes into their new apartment is the first step on the journey to a new life. While the apartment provides stability and foundation, one-on-one case management allows these families to then develop a clear and distinct path towards self-sufficiency.” Find out more at setonhousecasper.org. We collected donations of household items to donate to Seton House. conducted a Care N Share Service with Seton House Deanna Frey on February 11th, hosted a Care N’ Share Potluck on February 23rd, and donated over $300 through our “Share the Plate” collections.
Fall, 2017: Care N Share -Wyoming Food for Thought Project
Wyoming Food For Thought Project was chosen as our first quarterly Care N’ Share non-profit for October through December. During the quarter, we learned about, supported, and celebrated this worthy program that is spearheading a grass-roots, local solution to the problem of hunger in our community. We contributed countless cans of soup throughout the quarter, many hours of vounteer service, and $323 through our “Share the Plate” collections.
Food for Thought does so much, including providing 670 weekend food bags to school children every week, sponsoring a weekly farmer’s market, growing community gardens, holding workshops on food prep and gardening, managing a seed library, and so much more. You can check out all their projects on their website, wyomingfoodforthoughtproject.org. With so much going on, they have a virtually limitless number of opportunities for volunteers to help out. How does volunteering work? According to director Jamie Purcell, you let them know when you have time, and they find you something to do!
Over the last few months UU Casper has assisted many local non-profits, like:
- Child Development Center of Natrona County – March and April 2017 donations of craft and learning supplies
- Joshua’s Storehouse – January 2017 donations of soup
- Holy Cross Food Bank – December 2016 donations of holiday foods
- Casper College Goodstein Library and Food for Thought – November 2016 over 125 books donated to children’s book drive
- Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota – October 2017 donations of band-aids, lip balm, and children’s clothing
- Central Wyoming Rescue Mission – September 2016 donations to buy bus tokens for residents
- Casper Humane Society – April 2016 donations of dog and cat food, treats and toys
- Wyoming Food for Thought – March 2016 donations of food for local program to provide weekend meals for children
- Central Wyoming Rescue Mission – February 2016 donations for personal care bags